Sunday 10 May 2009

Butterscotch Cake

Sorry about the poor photo of the iced cake, I think I was in too much of a hurry to eat it, lol!

I was in the mood to bake something yesterday, so made this simple Butterscotch Cake, it doubled up as dessert as we had some with custard, it was delicious.


Butterscotch Cake (Janet Cooke’s)

Recipe from Easy Cook Issue 25

Cuts into 8 according to the recipe, but I got a lot more out of it.


Ready in 45 minutes

Suitable for freezing un-iced sponge only

225g soft butter

175g soft brown sugar, plus 5 tbsp extra

175g self-raising flour

3 eggs, beaten

1 tsp baking powder

5 tbsp evaporated milk

Handful of toasted almonds, chopped (I used pecan nuts)

1. Bake the Cake: Turn the oven to fan 160C/conventional 180C/gas 4. Butter and line a 28 x 18 x 5cm tin. Put 175g of the butter, the sugar, flour, eggs and baking powder into a bowl and beat until well combined and smooth. Pour into the prepared tin and level out. Bake for 30 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Leave to cool in the tin.


2. Make the icing: Put the remaining 50g butter, extra 5 tbsp sugar and the evaporated milk in a saucepan and heat until the butter and sugar have melted. Boil for 4 minutes, or until thickened. Pour over cake and decorate with the nuts.



7 comments:

  1. Mmmm I can almost smell it. :-D

    It looks a lovely recipe & it doesn't look too difficult. Thanks for sharing. Gez.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm cake. Looks delicious Janice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy, yum - I'll be round later for my slice! x (I wish!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word Janice!!! I'm salivating like Pavlov's dogs! HAHA xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry janice but that looks far too nice!!! Is there any left for me??? haha X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious ~ I'll just have to figure out measurement conversions :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog, I read all the comments and publish them all except those which are anonymous, have links, or may be offensive to others. I love to read your comments, and if I have time I will reply to the comments but often that is not possible. Please be assured I do read and appreciate all that you say. Please come again :-)