Saturday 7 March 2009

Chic Life - Sardine Challenge!


This Week's Challenge Item (3/1 - 3/7) - Sardines:

This week's challenge ingredient scares me the most from the original article that kicked off this challenge, "The 11 Best Foods You Aren't Eating". I'm not sure I've ever knowingly consumed sardines. I'm actually afraid to eat this ingredient, so it will be interesting to see if how I'm able to work it into any meals.

I had to rise to this challenge as I am really rather fond of sardines. Mainly because, when we were kids and we had been out all day on a Saturday, my mum used to make Sardines on toast and then Cinnamon sugar on toast for pud!


I found this recipe at Cooks.com for Sardine Hero's and made them for lunch today. I like to buy the Sardines in Brine as they have less calories than the ones in oil and I really don't like sardines in tomato sauce.

Sliced onions and green pepper sauted till soft.

Sub rolls toasted , then the mashed sardines piled on top.
Top that with the cooked peppers and onions and some sliced tomatoes.
A little sprinkling of grated cheese and back under the grill.
Then put the toasted top of the roll back on and press down, slice across and serve.
Jenny likes sardines too :)

6 comments:

  1. Jenny's not the only one - so do I - delicious photos! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice entry! I like it and it looks like something I would actually, eat, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh JANICE....I nearly dribbled all over the keyboard!!!
    Fed me, fed me now. Looks delicious. mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I wonder how many of those ingredients I have - that looks scrummy! Hope Jenny got treated to an odd flake or two of sardine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely sandwich and look at Jenny wanting some. Hope she got a little sardine after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mum is a sardine lover but not me so lovely Jenny can have mine! XXX

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog, I read all the comments and publish them all except those which are anonymous, have links, or may be offensive to others. I love to read your comments, and if I have time I will reply to the comments but often that is not possible. Please be assured I do read and appreciate all that you say. Please come again :-)