Friday 22 February 2013

My Funny Valentine



My Funny Valentine

My funny valentine, sweet comic valentine
You make me smile with my heart
Your looks are laughable, unphotographable
But you're my favourite work of art
Is your figure less than Greek?
Is your mouth a little weak?
When you open it to speak
Are you smart?
Don't change a hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little valentine, stay
Each day is Valentine's day 
 
It was in 1979 that I first started to go out with Brian.  We stayed in the same blocks of student accommodation, I was in my third year and he was a postgraduate student, one of the girls in my flat was on the same course as a guy in Brian's flat and that is how we met.
 
The student flats backed on to an old area which had been pretty much demolished, all that stood was the old communal Baths and a little row with a couple of shops and 'The Royal Bar'.  The Royal Bar was a bit of a dive, frequented by locals and the occasional student.  We once had to leave rapidly when a fight broke out and chairs were being thrown about.  In the Royal Bar there was an old fashioned Juke Box we liked to play and on the B side of Oliver's Army by Elvis Costello and the Attractions, was a vocal and guitar version of 'My Funny Valentine'.  As a dyed-in-the-wool fan of those old musical movies they used to play on a Sunday afternoon, I love those Rogers and Hart tunes and, at that time, Brian was playing bass guitar with the University Big Band and this was one of the numbers that they played.  And that is how it became our tune.
 
We have the record, but I was delighted to see that you could find it on YouTube so, if you would like, you can listen to it too.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely post Janice thank you for sharing this xx Love the digi LO!

    DH has just listed to your 'lovesong' and I am to tell you "Frank Sinatra sings that better!" LOL!!!! Men!!!



    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that song so well. How lovely to have it as YOUR song

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynne - he is probably right, but this particular version is the one that is 'our song'
    It was fun to dig out the old photo and make the LO.
    Thanks Viv, it is a great song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing. That is a great song!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story and song. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome layout - you are very cute!
    / I remember 1979 - a great year./
    Love your story - you are a superb storyteller!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks for the beautiful song!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh , that is so cool, I loved Oliver's Army and Girl's Talk which was out at the same time, I think my first year at Uni too.. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog, I read all the comments and publish them all except those which are anonymous, have links, or may be offensive to others. I love to read your comments, and if I have time I will reply to the comments but often that is not possible. Please be assured I do read and appreciate all that you say. Please come again :-)